who to call translate

Staying in School

I’ve been moving around a lot. Do I have to change schools every time I move?
Click here for your rights and resources.

Missing School

If you . . .

  • were kicked out of your house
  • ran away from home
  • live in a shelter, or temporary place in DCF care
  • live with another family because your family lost their housing
  • live in a motel, hotel, trailer park, or camping ground
  • have no place to live

You have rights as a homeless student.

Your school’s Homeless Liaison can help you. Click here to find out who to call.

To read more about your rights click here.

I’ve missed so much school. What’s going to happen?


Here’s what the law says:

Truant – A truant is someone who has 4 unexcused absences in one month or 10 unexcused absences in one school year.

What happens if you are truant?
Click here to read more.





Can I go to college if
I’m moving around a lot?

Federal Student Aid for Homeless Youth 

I can’t take it anymore.
I’m tired of hearing kids call me a loser.

If another student or group of students repeatedly makes fun of, threatens, or embarrasses you, the law calls this bullying. If it happens through texting, Facebook, or any internet site, that is called “cyber-bullying.”
Not sure if you are being bullied, or what to do if you are? To read more click here.

My school wants me out.

“Push-out” happens when schools encourage students to withdraw voluntarily, often without informing them of their right to stay in school or providing them with extra help to do better in school. This can happen in many different ways. Click here to read more.

Special Ed

I am so frustrated in school.
I can’t learn. What can I do?

If you have tried and tried but you’re still not learning, you might need special education services. That means an education plan written just for you so that you can learn. To read more about what services you might be able to get, click here.

web ed aft Manson

I just got out of lock-up
and want to get back into school.

If you need to know what to do to get back into school,
click on one of these links:

If you are 17 or younger, click here.
If you are 18 or older, click here.

Check this link for messages from kids who skipped a lot of school.