who to call translate

Living Options

I want to live on my own. How do I get emancipated?
Is emancipation a good option for me?

EmancipationEmancipation is a legal process that makes a 16- or 17-year old legally independent from his/her parent or guardian. An emancipated minor has most of the rights of an 18-year old, such as getting a driver’s license,  registering a car, and enrolling in school or college without a parent or guardian’s consent. Read more about emancipation by clicking here.

I am in DCF Care.
What are my rights?

As a teen in DCF care, there’s a lot for you to know so you can make good decisions for yourself and get what you want. If you are committed to DCF, there are programs that can help you learn to live on your own. The more you know about these programs, the better you can advocate for yourself. To learn more, click here.

My 18th birthday is coming up and I’m in DCF care.
What’s going to happen to me?

DCF CareAt age 18, each person’s situation is different. You may want to live with your foster parent or you might want to move to your own apartment. You may or may not have graduated from high school yet. Once you are over 18, you can voluntarily stay with DCF as long as you are in high school, college, or some other educational or job-training program. You can stay in in a DCF Independent Living Program until you are 21, as long as you follow the rules of the program. In some cases, you can stay until you are 23. To learn more about your options once you turn 18, click here.

I don’t know if I can stay in the U.S.
What are my rights and options?

To become a legal resident, you must apply for a “green card” from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). The green card allows you to live and work in the U.S. permanently.  Not everyone will qualify for a green card, and getting one can take a long time. It all depends on your age, the country you came from, your legal status and the legal status of your family. To read more about your options click here.